Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Film Review: M*A*S*H



Film: M*A*S*H
Actors: Donald Sutherland, Elliot Gould, Tom Skerritt, Sally Kellerman, Robert Duvall
Director: Robert Altman
Source: My parents
Form: VHS

Summary: Hailed as one of the best comedies ever made, the story focuses on three Army surgeons, Hawkeye Pierce (Donald Sutherland), Duke Forrest (Tom Skerritt) and Trapper John McIntyre (Elliot Gould). They devolp a lunatic lifestyle in order to handle everyday horrors encountered in a Mobile Army Surgical Hospital during the Korean War.  Though highly skilled and dedicated, this irreverent mob of madcaps is equally adept at making a shambles of Army bureaucracy.  Accompying them are weird Corporal, Radar O'Reilly (Gary Burghoff), a martinet nurse, Major "Hot Lips" Hoolihan (Sally Kellerman) and a sanctimonious Major (Robert Duvall).

My Thoughts: I've grown up watching the M*A*S*H television series, this however was my first time seeing the actual film.  The first thing that caught my attention was the theme song to the film, it's the same tune I've had memorized for years from watching the series; the film version however actual has lyrics to it and in a way it's kind of depressing if you pay attention to the wording.  It definitely took some time getting used to the actors, but once I got over the difference in who was playing who I fell in love with the acting.  One of the things that I enjoyed about this film was the witty jokes that were here and there throughout the duration, a few I even laughed so hard at that my parents knocked on my door to see if everything was alright.  The plot line was a little difficult to follow at times because it's kind of sporatic at times; in general though it was good.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment