Thursday, January 12, 2012

Book Review: Pictures of Hollis Woods



Book: Pictures of Hollis Woods
Author: Patricia Reilly Giff
Source: recommended by my grade school librarian

GoodReads Summary: A troublesome twelve-year-old orphan, staying with an elderly artist who needs her, remembers the only other time she was happy in a foster home, with a family that truly seemed to care about her.

My Thoughts:  This is one of the books in my book case that has been sitting around my room for years and I haven't bothered to reread it again.  I faintly remember reading this book when it first came out; the school librarian at my grade school held the book for me to check it out once they got it in.  That's been several years ago and I'm happy I went back to reread this book.  Considering the differences of the times that I've read this book, I feel more connected this time I read then when I had back in grade school.  My favorite character is still Josie, the old woman who begins to forget things more frequently in her old age.  And I have to admit Josie's cat Henry was also a favorite.  I enjoyed rereading this book for the simple writing style Patricia used but it also left room to get a deep meaning across about life.  Definitely a favorite in my shelves.

Favorite Quote: "If someone looks into your eyes, I read in a book one time, he'll see right into your soul."

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment