Monday, January 2, 2012

Film Review: Sister Act


Film: Sister Act
Actors: Whoopi Goldberg, Maggie Smith, Kathy Najimy, Wendy Makkena, Mary Wickes
Director: Emile Ardolino
Source: It's a family favorite
Form: DVD

Summary: Relive all the fun, laughter and irresistible music of Sister Act- the inspired comedy hit that packed pews everywhere!  Whoopi Golberg stars as a sassy, low-rent lounge singer forced to hide out from the mob in the last place anyone would ever look for her - a convent.  While she's there, her irreverent behavior attracts a flock of faithful followers and turns the nun's tone-deaf choir into a soulful chorus of swingin' singin' sisters. But when the group ears rave reviews, her sudden celebrity jeopardizes her hidden identity.  Harvey Keitel and Kathy Najimy join a heavenly cast in this habit-forming comedy bursting with '60s Motown hits.

My Thoughts: This was actually the first time I managed to see the film in it's entirety.  Whoopi Golberg's performance like in anything else she's cast in, is just absolutely amazing.  She gives her character such an edge that I couldn't see anyone else but her be the one to do it.  Maggie Smith also did a fantastic job in this film, I particulary loved her famous death stare that can also be seen in the Harry Potter films.  Whoopi and Maggie make a great team on screen even though their characters are on opposite ends of the spectrum.  This film has always held my attention, whether it be the witty banter between the characters or the music I'm not entirely sure.

Extra Stuff: This particular DVD has special features including: a featurette of "Inside Sister Act", music videos for "If My Sister's In Trouble" by Lady Soul and "I Will Follow him" by Deloris and the Sisters, and the theatrical trailer for the film.  I found the featurette quite interesting as it gets into what it took to make this film possible.  After watching the theatrical trailer, I don't believe it did the film any justice, but then again my views might be different on the trailer had I watched it before I watched the film in it's entirety. 

Rating: 5/5

2 comments:

  1. I love this movie! This is my childhood. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I absolutely loved this movie as a child. It was witty and profound at the same time. Definitely a classic!

    Hi. I'm Gabby. I came across your blog on Bookblogs. If you get a moment, I invite you to visit my author site @ www.gabbynesiba.com. I review books but mostly post my own writing. Hope to see you there!

    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete