Saturday, February 25, 2012

Film Review: The Little Mermaid

Film: The Little Mermaid
Actors: Voices of: Jodi Benson, Kenneth Mars, Christopher Daniel Barnes, Samuel E. Wright, Jason Marin
Directors: John Musker, Ron Clemets
Source: Family favorite
Form: VHS

Summary: Ariel, the fun-loving and mischievous mermaid, is enchanted with all things human.  Disregarding her father's order to stay away from the world above the sea, she swims to the surface and, in a raging storm, rescues the prince of her dreams. Determined to be human, she strikes a bargain with the devious seawitch, Ursula, and trades her fins and beautiful voice for legs. With her best friend, the adorable and chatty Flounder, and her reluctant chaperone Sebastion, the hilarious, reggae-singing Caribbean crab, at her side, Ariel must with the prince's love and save her father's kingdom - all in a heart-pounding race against time!

My Thoughts:  Ariel used to always be my favorite Disney princess, but years later I think that's just because she was the only ginger out of the lot, and since I was one of the few gingers around I think I bonded with Ariel because of that.  I haven't seen this film in years, and I mean years. I honestly couldn't tell you how the film started if you had asked me before I watched it again.  I enjoyed watching this film again though, the animation was great to watch and the songs were still as catchy as they've always been.  So catchy, that I was singing them as I, who was ill at the time, was signing them as I fell asleep for a nap.  I was surprised at how much I still hated Ursula. I would have thought all these years later I would have let my grudge against her go, but alas, I was still so angry with that seawitch I wanted to cry (once again, I was ill, though I think I would have felt the same way had I watched it when I wasn't ill).  The massive fight scene with Ursula, Ariel and Eric was so incredibly intense I wanted to hide under my covers; I had either forgotten about that part or had always skipped through that portion of the film when I was younger.  In the end, The Little Mermaid is still one of my favorite Disney films.

Extra Stuff:  The VHS that our family owns is the fully restored, special edition.  The special edition of this includes a "never-before-seen" music video of "Part Of Your World".  The music video consisted of Jodi Benson singing while walking barefoot on a beach with clips from the film. I enjoyed it simply because I love the song and hearing Jodi Benson's voice.

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment