Monday, February 27, 2012

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone


Book:  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Author: J. K. Rowling
Source: The entire series has been on my bookshelf for years, I don't think any of us know how or when they all appeared...

Summary: Harry Potter has never been the star of a Quidditch team, scoring points while riding a broom far above the ground. He knows no spells, has never helped to hatch a dragon, and he has never worn a cloak of invisibility.

All he knows is a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle and their abominable son, Dudley - a great big swollen spoiled bully.  Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.

But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry - and anyone who reads about him - will find unforgettable.  For it's there that he finds not only friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, but a great destiny that been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter.

My Thoughts:  I'll be up front about this, I've read this series several times.  So many in fact that my copy of Sorcerer's Stone is literally falling to pieces, and I'll have to tape it back together for the third time.  There is something to say about this, Sorcerer's Stone is the only one out of the seven books that is the most...loved.  I've concluded this is because I still find that the beginning of this series is so incredibly fascinating and it brings back so much when I read it when I remember what it was like to be reading it for the first time.  I still love all the same things about Sorcerer's Stone as I used to.  Getting to meet Harry for the first time, still wanting to kick Dudley and smack Aunt Petunia.  I especially loved when Harry meets the Weasleys for the first time at the platform, that scene stood out the most in the entire book.  The writing, as my English teacher said last week, is just amazing.  J.K. Rowling writes in such an amazing way that she draws me into her work; this is something I've liked about her series, it makes me feel like I'm there beside Harry while I'm reading.  It still does to this day.

Favorite Quote: "Scars can come in useful. I have one myself above my left knee which is a perfect map of the London Underground."

Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment